The digital landscape is ever-changing, and Google’s algorithms are no exception. The search giant recently announced its September 2023 Helpful Content Update, which brings significant changes to how websites are ranked. In this blog post, we’ll dive into the key takeaways from this update and explain how our marketing agency can help you adapt and thrive in this new SEO environment.
What is the Helpful Content Update?
Google’s Helpful Content System is designed to promote quality content and reduce the search presence of content deemed unhelpful. The September update focuses on three main areas:
- Machine-Generated Content: Google has loosened its stance on machine-generated content, signaling a more accepting attitude towards AI-generated content.
- Third-Party Content: The update warns against hosting third-party content on your main website or subdomains without close supervision.
- Traffic Loss Guidance: Google has offered additional advice on what to do if your site experiences a drop in traffic due to a Helpful Content update.
Machine-Generated Content: A New Perspective
Previously, Google emphasized that its Helpful Content System prioritized content created by humans. However, the new update removes this guidance, indicating a shift in Google’s approach to AI-generated content. This is a game-changer for businesses that utilize AI for content creation, and it opens up new avenues for SEO strategies.
Third-Party Content: Proceed with Caution
If you host third-party content on your website or subdomains, Google’s new update advises that such content may affect your site-wide ranking signals. Therefore, it’s crucial to ensure that this content aligns with your main site’s purpose and is produced under close supervision.
What to Do If Your Traffic Drops?
Google has updated its Helpful Content Self-Assessment guidance, offering tips on how to recover if your site is affected by any Helpful Content Update. The new guidance recommends identifying unhelpful content and either fixing or removing it.
How Can Our Marketing Agency Help?
- SEO Audit: We’ll conduct a comprehensive SEO audit to identify areas impacted by Google’s latest update.
- Content Strategy: Our team of experts will help you develop a content strategy that aligns with Google’s new guidelines, including the use of AI-generated content where appropriate.
- Third-Party Content Management: We’ll review any third-party content hosted on your site to ensure it meets Google’s new criteria.
- Traffic Recovery Plan: If your site has experienced a drop in traffic, we’ll implement a recovery plan based on Google’s updated guidance.
Google’s September 2023 Helpful Content Update is a significant shift in the SEO landscape. By understanding these changes and adapting your strategy accordingly, you can maintain or even improve your search rankings. Our marketing agency is here to guide you through these changes and set your business up for long-term success.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn how we can help you navigate the complexities of the ever-changing digital landscape.
Source: Search Engine Journal